Compensation for my car accident injury claim in San Antonio
If you have been injured in a car accident on a Texas roadway, you are not alone. Each year thousands of San Antonio drivers are injured in a car accident. Unfortunately, car accident injuries can be minor or so drastic that they can impact your life for weeks, months or even years.
If you have been injured in a car accident which is caused by another persons negligence you may be able to receive compensation for your car accident injuries by filing a car accident law suit. Plaintiffs who win a car accident law suit may be able to receive the following types of car accident injury compensation:
- Paid medical care for car accident injuries, including medical care which can be anticipated for the future.
- Payment for property damage.
- Payment for pain and suffering which can include physical and mental conditions caused by the car accident injuries.
- If the defendants actions are considered unlawful and egregious car accident injury compensation may include punitive damages.
- Payment for lost wages which can include current income and future lost earnings.
If both parties are found partly responsible for the car accident injury claim, the award for the plaintiff may be reduced.
Can I file a car accident claim in San Antonio?
A personal injury claim in Texas can be won if the claimant proves the driver of the other car was negligent and it was their negligence which caused or contributed to the car accident. In Texas, negligence is considered the failure to exercise reasonable care which another person would have exercised under similar circumstances. Negligence while driving can include:
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving
- Driving while too tired
- Running red lights
- Not stopping at a stop sign
Steps after a car accident in San Antonio
A San Antonio driver should take several steps if they have been in a car accident:
- Do not leave the scene of the car accident.
- Make sure all the other drivers are okay and if they are injured in a car accident call 911.
- Do not make any statements, except to the police, and do not admit fault for the car accident.
- Gather information from the other drivers who were injured in the car accident.
- Go to the doctor even if you do not think you are injured. Some car accident injuries may not be evident until later.
- Call the insurance company.
- Talk to a car accident lawyer before agreeing to any type of car accident injury compensation settlement.
Do I need a San Antonio car accident lawyer?
If you have been in a minor fender bender with no car accident injuries and little property you may not need a car accident lawyer. If however, you have suffered severe car accident injuries or the insurance company is less concerned with ensuring you get the medical care and compensation you need and more concerned with closing the car accident claim, you may need professional help.
Car accident attorneys can negotiate with the insurance company and help you with the car accident claims process. Car accident lawyers can also help file a car accident lawsuit if someone elses negligence has led to your car accident injuries. Personal injury claims must be made in Texas before the 2 year statute of limitations expires.