24 Hour Toll Free Help

I Have Bar Fight Injuries

Can I sue the guy who beat me up?

The first thing that has to be considered is, “Did you start the fight in the bar? Were you drinking too much? Did you get out of control?”

Was the guy that beat you up simply defending himself from your attack? Even if this is true, you may still be able to sue the guy if he went beyond defending himself. It may be that the guy went far beyond merely defending himself and intentionally began to beat you up. A person has a right to defend themselves, but they do not have the right to hurt you beyond the point of what is necessary to defend themselves.

The difficult thing is proving that the guy went beyond defending himself, that he used excessive force. Taking pictures of your wounds, getting a copy of the police report of the incident, medical bills for your injuries and the testimony of a witness or witnesses that the guy went far beyond defending himself would help to give you a case.

Sit down with personal injury lawyer

In this instance, the best thing to do is to sit down with a personal injury lawyer and discuss the incident. A personal injury lawyer will evaluate the incident and tell you whether it would be in your best interests to bring a lawsuit against the guy who beat you up.

On the other hand, you may have decided to go out on the town and have a good time. You went to a bar and were minding your own business. Someone in the bar drank too much, got agitated and got out of control. It just so happens that they took it out on you. You did not start the fight.

The guy beat you up. Now the question that you have is, “Can I sue the guy that beat me up in the bar?”

You have a right to sue

The answer is, “Yes.” You do have the right to sue the guy who beat you up in a bar. No matter what explanation the guy may offer, assault is a crime. When you are injured by a person, it is your right to sue that person in order to be compensated for your injuries.

Were the police called to the incident? You need to find out if the police filed assault charges against the guy who beat you up in the bar. If the police did file charges, you can refer to this when you sue the guy who beat you up.

Once again, pictures of your wounds and the bar, the police report of the incident, medical bills and witness testimony will all help to strengthen your case against the guy who beat you up in the bar.

Suing the bar owner

There is also the possibility that you may be able to sue the bar owner for your injuries. The guy may have beat you up because the owner of the bar was negligent due to a lack of security at the bar.

Again, the one who can help determine how strong a case that you have is a personal injury lawyer. It is always a smart move to have a personal injury lawyer in your corner.

Enhanced by Zemanta