Injured in a car accident in Dallas
Over one million drivers share the roadways in Dallas, and hundreds of drivers each year are injured in a car accident. Car accidents can lead to minor car accident injuries or more severe injuries which may make it impossible to work for weeks, months or even years.
In Dallas, if a car accident injury is caused by another persons negligence the victim may have the ability to file a car accident law suit to receive compensation for their car accident injuries. If the judge or jury decides in the plaintiffs favor they may be eligible to receive:
- Medical care for their car accident injuries which can include: hospitalization, medication, surgery, medical equipment and reconstructive surgery
- Payment for damaged property
- Payment for lost wages including estimated future lost wages
- Payment for pain and suffering
If the judge or jury considers the defendants actions willful and malicious they may also assess punitive damages against them. Many accidents in cars are caused by the inattention or actions of multiple parties. If both parties are responsible for the car accident injury claim, the plaintiffs award may be lowered.
Can I file a car accident claim in Dallas?
To file a personal injury claim in Dallas the plaintiff must prove three things:
- Fault in a car accident claim the plaintiff must prove the other drivers actions were negligent or reckless. Negligence is defined as the failure to exhibit the level or care which is exercised by a reasonable person in a similar circumstance. Speeding, drunk driving or running a red light could all be considered negligent actions.
- Causation in a car accident claim the plaintiff must prove that it was the defendants actions which were the proximate cause of the car accident injuries.
- Damages the plaintiff must prove that they were in fact actually injured in a car accident from the negligence of the plaintiff.
Steps after a car accident in Dallas
When a car accident occurs, whether there are accidents in the car or not, the following steps should be taken:
- Do not flee the scene of the car accident.
- Check on all the other drivers, and if there are car accident injuries call 911.
- Do not make any statements, and do not admit car accident fault.
- Gather information from the other drivers who were injured in the car accident.
- Go see a doctor.
- Call the insurance company.
- Talk to a car accident lawyer and do not agree to any car accident injury compensation until the car accident injuries are verified.
Do I need a Dallas car accident lawyer?
Claims for car accidents may be simple if there is only minor damage and no car accident injuries. For this type of claim you may not need a car accident lawyer. If there are severe injuries or the insurance company is not providing the necessary compensation you need for your car accident insurance claim, it may be important to get legal help.
Car accident attorneys have experience negotiating with the insurance company to make sure you get the car accident injury compensation you need. Car accident lawyers also can help you pursue a car accident law suit if the negligence of another person caused your car accident injuries. Every state has a statute of limitations for filing a personal injury claim. Under most conditions, a Texas car accident law suit must be filed within 2 years from the date of the car accident injuries.