Injured in a car accident in Los Angeles?
Los Angeles, California, is one of the largest metropolitan cities in the United States with a population of over 10 million citizens. Everyday someone is injured in a car accident and suffers severe injuries. Common car accident injuries can include traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, broken bones and even death.
If a Los Angeles driver has been injured in a car accident and suffered car accident injury because of the negligence of another driver, they may be able to receive car accident injury compensation for medical bills, property damage and lost wages. If the car accident injuries were the result of another drivers reckless and dangerous actions punitive damages may also be available.
Los Angeles drivers who want to discuss filing a car accident claim in California can contact a car accident lawyer who understands car accident law.
What if there is an accident in a car?
There are a few things that should be done immediately if a driver has suffered car accident injuries.
- Dont flee the scene. A person who flees the scene could be charged with a hit and run.
- Check on the other drivers, make sure they have not been injured and call 911.
- Dont admit fault or make any statements except to the police.
- Exchange information with other drivers who were injured in the car accident.
- Seek medical attention.
- Contact your insurance company.
- Do not agree to any settlement offers without consulting with a car accident lawyer.
Do I have a car accident claim?
Los Angeles drivers who have been injured in a car accident and have filed a car accident injury claim must prove the other driver was negligent to win their car accident law suit. To prove negligence the plaintiff must prove three things:
- The defendant owed the plaintiff a duty to act reasonably and safely.
- The defendant breached their duty of care.
- The plaintiffs car accident injuries were a result of the defendants negligence. Negligence is defined as failing to conform to a standard of conduct which puts other individuals at risk.
If the claimant in the car accident proves the defendant was negligent, the judge or jury may award the plaintiff damages to compensate the defendant for their car accident injuries. Damages for common car accident injuries can include lost wages, medical costs and pain and suffering. In some cases the judge or jury may award additional damages to punish the defendant for flagrant disregard of the law (ex. drunk driving).
What can car accident attorneys do for me?
Car accident attorneys can help California drivers recover compensation for pain and suffering, medical expenses, lost wages, and compensation for permanent disabilities like brain injuries suffered in a car accident. Car accident lawyers can help negotiate with the car accident insurance company, file all of the necessary court documents and manage the paperwork and claims process.
In the state of California, a claimant has 2 years to file a car accident claim against anyone who caused their car accident injuries. If a negotiation has not been reached, it is important to file a car accident law suit before the California statute of limitations expires.