Injured in a Fort Worth car accident?
Hundreds of car accidents occur in Texas every year and Fort Worth drivers suffer car accident injuries ranging from minor to serious. Serious common car accident injuries can include: broken bones, brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, knee damage, paralysis and dislocations. Unfortunately, any type of car accident injury can cost you hundreds of dollars in lost wages and medical bills.
In Fort Worth, if your car accident injuries were caused by the reckless or negligent actions of another driver you can hold that driver accountable for their actions by filing a car accident law suit. If you win you car accident lawsuit, you may be able to receive compensation for your car accident injuries.
Common types of negligent driver actions include:
- Driving while intoxicated by drugs or alcohol
- Tailgating resulting in rear-end collisions
- Hit and run accidents
- Running a red light
- Inattentive driving talking on the cell phone, changing the radio, eating, etc.
- Driving without insurance
Compensation for my car accident injury claim in Fort Worth
If another persons negligence contributed to or caused your car accident injuries you may be eligible to receive monetary compensation for your car accident claim. Car accident injury compensation can include:
- Lost wage compensation. This can include not only current wages but lost future potential earnings.
- Paid medical care
- Paid funeral expenses
- Pain and suffering compensation
- Permanent and temporary disability benefits
- Punitive damages are assessed against some defendants
Monetary compensation may be lowered if both drivers are found responsible for the car accident injuries.
Can I file a car accident claim in Fort Worth?
A car accident claim is considered a personal injury. In Texas, drivers can file a car accident claim if they believe anothers persons negligent actions contributed to the car accident. Negligence can be proven if the other person is found to have failed to exercise reasonable care that another person, under similar conditions, would have exercised. The injured party also must prove the other driver owed them a duty of care and the drivers negligence harmed them.
Steps after a car accident in Fort Worth
All Fort Worth drivers should take the following steps if they are injured in a car accident:
- Check on all of the other drivers and call 911 if anyone has a common car accident injury.
- Gather the names, addresses, license numbers and insurance information from all other drivers.
- Gather contact information for all the witnesses.
- Photograph the accident scene if possible.
- Do not admit fault to anyone.
- Contact the police.
- Contact your insurance company.
- Contact a car accident lawyer before accepting any personal injury car accident settlement offer.
Do I need a Fort Worth car accident lawyer?
Car accident lawyers can help negotiate a fair settlement offer with the car insurance company. Car accident attorneys can also gather expert medical testimony, investigate the car accident claim and question all of the witnesses. If your car accident injuries were caused by the negligence of another driver, car accident lawyers can help file a car accident law suit. Texas allows two years from the date of the car accident injuries to file a personal injury claim (some exceptions apply). If you are considering filing a car accident lawsuit it is important to contact a car accident injury lawyer before the statute of limitations expires.