Injured in an auto accident in Baltimore?
Victims of car accidents often face serious, life-changing car accident injuries which can require medical treatment or hospitalization. Recovering from car accident injuries can take weeks, months and in some cases years. Unfortunately, some car accident injuries are so extensive that the injured driver may never fully recover.
If a car accident is caused by the reckless, negligent or criminal actions of another driver, that driver can be held responsible and be required to pay compensation for medical costs, pain and suffering, lost wages and in some cases punitive damages.
If you have been injured in a car accident in Baltimore Maryland, a car accident lawyer can help. Car accident lawyers can offer legal advice and if necessary, help you file a car accident law suit to help you get the financial compensation to which you are entitled.
Do I Have a Car Accident Claim?
In Baltimore, the drivers whose negligence contributes or causes your car accident injuries can be held liable. In order to file and win a car accident claim against them, you must be able to prove the following:
- The driver owed you a duty of care to act in a responsible and lawful manner while operating a motorized vehicle.
- The drivers negligence caused or contributed to the car accident. Negligence is defined as a failure of the driver to exhibit a reasonable level of care. Negligence while driving can include: speeding, drunk driving, failing to stop at a stop sign or running a red light.
- The car accident caused or contributed to your car accident injuries. Medical records and medical expert testimony can prove car accident injuries.
If the other driver is found liable for your car accident injuries you may be entitled to monetary compensation. Compensation can include:
- Paid medical care for current and anticipated needs (prescription medications, rehabilitative services, surgeries and hospital visits).
- Money to pay for property damage
- Pain and suffering compensation which can include physical and mental pain caused by the car accident injuries.
- The jury or judge may assess punitive damages.
- Lost wage compensation
Rewards may be reduced if the plaintiff is found partly at fault for the car accident.
Steps after a car accident in Baltimore
If you have suffered common car accident injuries or been involved in a car accident it is important to do the following:
- Check on everyone involved or injured in the car accident. Call 911 if anyone is injured in the car accident.
- Gather information from all the drivers involved in the car accident.
- Photograph the accident scene if possible.
- Do not admit fault to anyone.
- Contact the police.
- Contact your insurance company.
- Visit the doctor.
- Contact a car accident lawyer before accepting a personal injury car accident settlement.
Do I need a Baltimore car accident lawyer?
Not all car accidents necessitate a car accident lawyer. Minor fender benders or car accidents with no injuries can probably be settled with your insurance company. Unfortunately, some car accident injuries may not be readily noticeable and the insurance company may be less concerned with you receiving a good settlement offer and more concerned with closing the car accident injury claim for as little cost to them as possible.
Car accident lawyers understand how to negotiate with your insurance company. A car accident attorney also can help if you have suffered severe car accident injuries or if the car accident was the caused by another drivers negligence.
Learn more about Maryland Personal Injury Law