Involved in a car accident in San Jose?Car accidents can lead to catastrophic, life-threatening injuries and even death. If you have been injured in a car accident in San Jose, California, you need to know your legal options. San Jose car accident lawyers can help you get the legal help you need and hold negligent drivers accountable for their illegal actions.
There are close to one million drivers in San Jose and everyday many of those drivers are involved in some type of car accident including: motorcycle, pedestrian, car and drunk driving accidents. If you have been injured in a car accident you may have suffered a car accident injury which can have severe long-term consequences for your health and quality of life. If your car accident injuries were caused by the negligence of another driver you can file a car accident injury law suit to fight for the compensation you deserve including:
- Paid medical care for you car accident injuries. Medical care can include: hospital stays, surgery, medications and rehabilitation.
- Property replacement
- Compensation for your pain and suffering
- Lost wage benefits
If the defendants actions are found to be willful and malicious, you may be awarded punitive damages. To find out more about filing a claim in a car accident, contact a car accident lawyer for help.
Do I have a car accident claim?
San Jose drivers who have been injured in a car accident only have a personal injury claim if they can prove the following:
- The defendant owed them a duty to act safely and reasonably.
- The defendant breached their duty of care toward them by their negligent actions. Negligence is defined as failing to conform to an acceptable standard of conduct.
- The defendants negligent actions caused injury to them injury.
If the plaintiff proves all of the above, the judge or jury can assess damages for the car accident law suit which may provide lost wage compensation, paid medical expenses, paid property damages and pain and suffering compensation to the plaintiff.
Steps after a car accident in San Jose
Anyone involved or injured in a car accident should do the following:
- Stay at the scene of a car accident. Fleeing the scene can lead to a charge of hit and run.
- Ensure all the other drivers are safe, and if anyone has been injured in the car accident call 911.
- Do not admit fault for any of the common car accident injuries and only make statements to the police.
- Gather information from all of the drivers involved or injured in the car accident.
- Seek medical attention even if you do not think you are injured.
- Contact your insurance company.
- Prior to settling your car accident insurance claim a car accident lawyer should be contacted.
What does a San Jose car accident attorney do?
Car accident attorneys can help drivers who have been injured in a car accident negotiate with their insurance company, and if their car accident injuries were caused by the negligence of another driver, they can help them file a car accident law suit. It is important to contact a car accident injury lawyer as soon as possible if you are considering filing a car accident claim. Under most circumstances, in the state of California, injured drivers will have two years from the date of their car accident injuries to file their personal injury claim.