Persuing a personal injury claim after a Houston car accidentThousands of people die or suffer car accident injuries on Texas roadways every year. Nationwide millions of individuals are involved in car accidents and while most of them just suffer property damage, thousands of people find their lives drastically changed because they are injured in a car accident.
Compensation for my car accident claim in Houston
Houston drivers who have been injured in a car accident which is caused by the negligence of another driver may receive compensation for their car accident injuries. Compensation for car accident claims can include:
- Medical Bills medical bills can be paid for car accident injuries including reasonably anticipated bills in the future.
- Pain and Suffering pain and suffering can include mental or physical pain caused by injuries from the car accident.
- Lost Income lost income compensation can include current and future lost earning potential
- Property Damage
- Punitive Damages punitive damages are paid in certain instances where the defendants actions are found to be especially egregious.
Claimants who file a car accident law suit and are found to be partly at fault for the car accident may have their benefits reduced by the amount they are at fault.
Steps after a car accident
A Houston driver who has been injured in a car accident should do the following things:
- Never leave the scene.
- Check on the other drivers, make sure they have not been injured and call 911.
- Do not admit fault for the car accident or make any statements except to the police.
- Exchange information with other drivers who were injured in the car accident.
- Seek medical attention even if you do not think you are injured. Some car accident injuries may not be readily noticeable.
- Contact your insurance company.
- Do not agree to any car accident insurance settlement offers without consulting with a car accident lawyer.
Can I file a car accident claim?
In order to win a car accident law suit, the claimant must prove the driver of the other vehicle was at fault. To prove fault in Texas the claimant must prove negligence. Negligence is defined as the the failure to exercise reasonable car which another person would have exercised under similar circumstances. Examples of negligence can include speeding, drunk driving, tailgating or running a red light. But proving negligence is only the first requirement, next the claimant must prove that their negligence caused or contributed to the car accident.
If the defendant is found guilty the judge or jury may award the plaintiff compensation for medical costs, lost wages, pain and suffering, property damages and in some cases punitive damages.
Do I need a Houston car accident lawyer?
Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that an insurance company, who may be more concerned with settling the claim for the car accident and less concerned about your health, will offer you a fair settlement.
A smart car accident attorney can help negotiate with the insurance company, explain car accident laws and manage the car accident claims process. Car accident attorneys should be contacted before the statute of limitations expires. For most car accident injuries Houston drivers will have 2 years to file their personal injury lawsuit.