24 Hour Toll Free Help

What should I do after a car accident?

Most of us will be involved in some type of automobile accident in our lifetime. In fact, death from car accidents is the number one cause of death for people aged 6 to 27. An automobile collision can occur if you hit an animal, another car, person or any type of stationary object.

If you are the victim of an automobile accident you may be able to receive compensation if the injuries you sustained are due to the negligence of another driver. Punitive damages may also be assessed if the car accident was caused by serious reckless behaviors of another driver. A serious auto collision can result in lost wages, property damage and increased medical costs for you or your family.

If you have been involved in a car accident there are several actions you should take:

• Never leave the accident scene.

• Seek medical attention for all injured individuals

• All individuals involved in the accident should provide their personal information to the police.

• Do not talk to the other drivers involved in the accident or admit guilt for the accident, the police will gather all the necessary documentation.

• If you are injured seek medical attention immediately.

• Talk to your insurance company right after the accident.

• All discussions with other insurance companies should be done by your insurance company, your personal injury attorney or the police.

It is important to talk to a personal injury attorney if you have suffered financial loss or serious injuries due to the negligence of another driver. An expert personal injury attorney has the expertise to assess the full cost of your injuries. Unfortunately, there are some injuries, such as back injuries, that may be difficult to calculate the full medical costs right after the injury occurs.

The insurance company’s goal will be to pay out as little as possible in a personal injury settlement agreement. They will have their own adjuster and investigators working for them. There is no need for you to work on your own with out the legal expertise of a personal injury attorney.